Monday, September 28, 2015

What age is appropriate for make up?

Hey Loves,

I had a mommy and Sophia day yesterday. I figured it was way over due because ever since Kayden came I haven't had one on one time with my oldest Sophia. Of course with having more then one child it becomes harder to divide the time equally among them. Especially when the new ones are small. Kayden is hyperactive, technically they haven't diagnosed him with anything but they told me he shows strong signs of ADHD and he needs a little more attention a lot of the time in public places and Lyrix is only 9 months so she is the center of attention until she gets to do things on her own better.

Sophia tends to be the last child to get addressed and by then I have picked up the house, dishes are done, floor is swept and mopped, breakfast, lunch, and dinner have been cooked and served, dinner mess is cleaned up, and I am so exhausted I am only 1/2 there. Most of the time its time for bath and bed.

Words can only go so far, actions speak louder then words. So as a way to prove to Sophia she is as loved as I tell her she is all time, she is still as important as the other children, and she is always my baby no matter how many I have or how old she is, I took her on her first real shopping trip and bought her her very first lipstick to start off her make up collection.

Which brings me to why I am writing this post. Exactly what age is appropriate for giving a child make up.? What kind of make up.? What colors deem appropriate.?

A lot of questions that I am sure you guys as mommies of girls or plan to want to have a girl in the future have wondered.

What age is appropriate for giving your child make up.? 

I never got my first make up that was mine until I was around 13. When I came into "womanhood", I was given clear or brown mascara, brown eye liners, brown liquid liner, neutral blushes, and neutral lipstick and tinted lip balms. I wasn't given anything dark until I was 16 and in a serious relationship.

Of course at that age I had no clue what I was doing!

My eyebrows were something I can't even bare to talk about, my eye liner was way to dark and made my eyes look small and squinty. I knew nothing what I know now, so looking back on my pictures I figured your child is never too young to learn the simple basics of the Art of Make Up. I went to Aveda and did take a Make Up Artist course and what better way to put my skills I learned to use and teaching my girls the best tips and tricks now, we even watch YouTube tutorials. Even Lyrix watches and I talk to her as I am going through my routines.

Sophia is 5 yo and just now starting to do the Whats in mommy's make up bag check. She likes to run off and test my make up. I do have some expensive make up products like my Urban Decay Palettes and Mac Eye shadows. So I figured since she is old enough to understand, know her product types, and follow directions, now would be a great time to start building her a make up collection.

We went to Ulta and Sophia bought her first lipstick, color was her choice. She picked a really pretty color that was, as she put it, her "fall color". See I told you I was teaching her right.

What kind of make up.?

I know it should be like easy like how toys are numbered for their age groups. Unfortunately, it is not. There are no age ratings on make up to give you a good guideline of what's kid appropriate. Yes they have kid choice make up like SMACKERS brand has all the flavored lip balms and glittery eye shadow, but if your child is anything like mine.... they know the difference.

I have came up with a list of what I will be getting my 5yo to add to her collection. I set a $50 a month limit for myself (for now, sometimes more) to spend on clothes, make up, hair products, etc. Really anything I want. So to help Sophia build up her make up and hair stuff stock (thanks to my mom on the hair) I will be buying Sophia one of the following at her choosing...

  • Powder blush
  • Cream Blush
  • Make up brushes
  • Neutral Eye Shadows 
  • Lip Gloss 
  • Lipstick
  • Lip Stain
  • Lip Balms 
  • Lip scrubs 
  • Lip Palettes 
  • Make up Mirror lighted and pocket sized 
  • Make Up remover wipes 
  • Train cases and bags 
  • Press on nails 
With Sophia I feel that the ages should be as such with make up
  • 5-7 years : Lip products, make up removers, blushes, neutral eye shadows
  • 8 years: Nail polish and accessories (non sharp and with supervision)
  • 13-15 years: Clear and brown mascara, brown eye pencil and liquid liner with good grades and good behavior 
  • 16 years: Darker colored shadows, blushes, liners, lips and accessories with good grades and good behavior 
Of course all of this is just at home play make up for every once in a while. Do remember that you don't need large amounts or even full sized items if you buying for your little because until you buy for them to actually wear in public to school, church, or anything like that make up does have an expiration date and needs to be tossed after a certain time. Normally the product will have the time frame you can have it open before it goes bad on the packaging. If not here is a guideline for you :) 


What color's should I get for my child.?

Really it's up to you as to what you feel is appropriate. If you would rather choose you child's make up or your child choose it. I let Sophia choose her first one. I don't like the barbie pink for her or the dark vampy colors but I her first choice was a nude brick red. Sounds really like an Oxymoron but in better words when it's in stick form all together it looks extremely dark brick red but when it was put on it was a lighter shade then I thought. A really pretty sheer brownish red. It's perfect for her tea parties and plays she does here at the house and of course for if she wants to wear it to grandma's house. 

The color is based on you. I feel that browns, sheer colors, pale pinks, and nudes are perfect for little's. 

Hope you ladies found this helpful or even find some inspirations to help set your own guidelines. 


No comments:

Post a Comment